It takes about one hour to get there and with the typical bus tour from Amsterdam you have three hours inside on your own.
Tip: I recommend a tour because you park closer to the entrance and get through the gate faster.
Tips: The flowers speak for themselves but here are my recommendations for Levelers.
• Walking is easy with paved paths, few and gentle elevation changes.
• Don't miss the five pavilions that are dotted about. One contains the spectacular flower show and, a la Disney, offers multiple photo op setups. Another the ABCs of tulips and a final one primarily for food. All have refreshments, bathrooms and gift shops.
• Outdoor food and drink booths are set up in the open area in front of the windmill.
• Unless the tulip fields are in full bloom and you feel adventuresome, don't bother climbing to the top. You will encounter 35 narrow, twisting steps in claustrophobic space.
• In this area you will find the boats that take visitors around the waterways. I didn't, preferring to spend more time in the gardens.
• Sculpture is installed throughout. There is a small animal zoo and many other treats for youngsters. Parades come through, too.
You will not want to leave.